I made this delicious recipe for Nutty Vanilla Kale and Sweet Potato Soup tonight…and it was delicious! Garam masala is probably the queen bee of spices and combined with the coconut milk it made the house smell divine. The soup is sweet, savory, nutritious and has a wonderful texture. I ended up using some collards as well, since we got them in our CSA this week along with the sweet potatoes, kale, fall squash, cukes and hot peppers.
For anyone looking for garam masala, you don’t have to travel to an Indian market if there isn’t one nearby—Whole Foods carries it for $5.99 (and it’s worth every penny). Give this tasty soup a try—it’s a great way to use some seasonal veggies!
This week the weather has been very chilly and all I can think about is eating a warm bowl of soup. So, I got this great book from the library called The Get Healthy Go Vegan Cookbook and made Very Gingery Pear and Sweet Potato Soup. It is very easy to make and has a sweet and savory flavor. It’s amazing. Here’s what you need to make it:
- 2 lbs. sweet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 Bosc or d’Anjou pears (about 1 1/2 cups)
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 2 tbsp crystallized ginger
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 1-inch piece peeled fresh ginger
- 4 cups veggie broth
- Kosher or sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup sliced scallions
- Put the sweet potatoes and pears in a large saucepan and cover with water and cook for 15-20 minutes until soft.
- While the potatoes and pears are cooking, coat a skillet with the olive oil spray and add the onions and cook for about four minutes.
- Then, in a food processor add the onions, drained potatoes and pears, and all the ginger. Purée until smooth, using some of the broth if needed.
- Then, add the mixture back into the saucepan add the broth, salt, pepper and lime juice.
- Cook for about 15 minutes and then ladle the soup into bowls and top with scallions and pears.
This soup is delicious and classy. Great for dinner parties or a nice dinner at home!
Do you have a favorite soup you eat when the weather is cold? Share with us!
Posted in Books, Food, Meatless Monday, Recipe, Vegan, Vegetarian
Tagged Ginger, Meatless Monday, Pear, Soup, Sweet Potato, Vegan
I absolutely love sweet potatoes and am always trying to figure out different ways to pair them with foods. So, tonight I found this great recipe on Eating Well called Black Bean-Smothered Sweet Potatoes. I decided to give it a whirl. I cooked the sweet potatoes in the oven Sunday night to save time (I find they cook much better in the oven than the microwave) and when I got home from work I was ready to start cooking. I heated up the bean, tomato and spices mixture and put some on top of the warm sweet potatoes and decided to pair it with some rice to make a complete, filling meal. So, I made simple brown rice with onions, cilantro, lime, tomatoes and salsa (its a quick shortcut to making food flavorful). As you can see the results of the sweet potato above turned out beautiful, and tasty as well!
Do you have any favorite sweet potato recipes? Do share!