This week the weather has been very chilly and all I can think about is eating a warm bowl of soup. So, I got this great book from the library called The Get Healthy Go Vegan Cookbook and made Very Gingery Pear and Sweet Potato Soup. It is very easy to make and has a sweet and savory flavor. It’s amazing. Here’s what you need to make it:
- 2 lbs. sweet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 Bosc or d’Anjou pears (about 1 1/2 cups)
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 2 tbsp crystallized ginger
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 1-inch piece peeled fresh ginger
- 4 cups veggie broth
- Kosher or sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup sliced scallions
- Put the sweet potatoes and pears in a large saucepan and cover with water and cook for 15-20 minutes until soft.
- While the potatoes and pears are cooking, coat a skillet with the olive oil spray and add the onions and cook for about four minutes.
- Then, in a food processor add the onions, drained potatoes and pears, and all the ginger. Purée until smooth, using some of the broth if needed.
- Then, add the mixture back into the saucepan add the broth, salt, pepper and lime juice.
- Cook for about 15 minutes and then ladle the soup into bowls and top with scallions and pears.
This soup is delicious and classy. Great for dinner parties or a nice dinner at home!
Do you have a favorite soup you eat when the weather is cold? Share with us!